20 activities to help you celebrate National Superhero Day, or any day because really every day should be Superhero Day.
National Superhero Day was created by Marvel Comics employees in 1995 and has since become a worldwide day of celebration for all things superhero. Here are 20 ways that you can celebrate the day. Most of these activities can (and should) be implemented any day of the year…with or without the cape.
1. Run/walk a Superhero 5K in support of a charity. Many cities have charity sponsored 5ks the weekend following National Superhero Day. This is a fun activity for family and friends. The people watching is worth every ounce of sweat! People come dressed in colorful, sometimes outrageous, superhero costumes all in the spirit of helping those in need.
2. Give a big thank you to your local Superheros. Visit your neighborhood firehouse or police station to say thank you. If permissible drop off a meal for the hard working people that fight every day to protect your community.
3. Send a Superhero treat to your child’s teacher. All teachers deserve some Superhero praise every day of the year but take a moment on Superhero Day to send special thanks.
4. Watch a Superhero movie with your kids. Introduce the little ones to a classic like the original 1978 Superman film.
5. Donate to a favorite charity. You can easily donate while shopping on Amazon using smile.amazon.com. Simply shop for the items you want under the smile.amazon.com site and Amazon will donate .5% of your purchase to your favorite charity. There’s even a Chrome extension that navigates you to the smile.amazon site as you shop.
6. Throw a Superhero party! We’re never too old for a good party and National Superhero Day is as good a reason as any. Get everyone together for Superhero themed drinks and food, put on a Superhero movie and quiz each other on random Superhero facts.
7. Make some adult kryptonite jello. A perfect compliment to number 6 on this list. This jello is definitely not kid-friendly and after a few spoonfuls may make you believe you have super human powers.
8. Treat mom & dad like the Superheros that they are. They read us books when we were little and took care of us when we were sick. Be sure to call the ‘rents and thank them for their support and love.
9. Be kind to our men and women in uniform. If you run into someone that serves our country shake their hand, buy them dinner, say thank you. They deserve all the love on Superhero Day.
10. Take a Superhero quiz. Test your knowledge on all things Superhero by taking an online quiz. Here’s one to try.
11. Wear your favorite Superhero costume all day. Wear it with pride!
12. Set up a Superhero photo booth with your kids. Grab the craft supplies and get to work building a fun photo booth to show off your photogenic super powers. Sew together some creative capes and masks then strike your best Superhero pose.
13. Read your favorite inspirational Superhero quotes.
“If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” –Wonder Woman #170
14. Take Superhero themed treats to work. You can make this as simple or as complicated as you like. For easier options: Goldfish crackers as Aquaman’s fish, a bowl of green M&Ms labeled as Poison Ivy’s seeds, Twizzler’s can be Wonder Woman’s lasso. If you want to do something a little more involved whip up some Rice Krispie treats and use cookie cutters shaped like Superheros to cut them out.
15. Volunteer at your child’s school. You can read books to younger kids, tutor, help in the school cafeteria or with an upcoming fundraiser.
16. Visit a local comic book store. When was the last time you rummaged through the boxes lining a comic book store’s floor? You will enjoy the comics and you’re supporting a local small business.
17. Buy a retro collectible of your favorite Superhero. Remember how exciting it was when you were a kid to get a new toy? Whether it is buying a new toy or watching a favorite film, today is the perfect excuse to relive those moments.
18. Be a Superhero to animals by donating blankets, food, and treats to a local animal shelter.
19. Unplug for a few hours and give the Superheros in your life your undivided attention.
20. Do something to treat yourself! Grab a drink with friends, treat yourself to a bit (or a lot) of junk food, or binge watch Superhero flicks all day. Be good to you today because deep down we are all badass Superheros.